The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that more than 90 million homes in the United States contain some lead-based paint. While the dangers of lead exposure are well known, experts suggest that millions of children remain at risk because their homes have never been tested.
Even when you don’t see obvious signs of lead-based paint on your walls, it may be present; as such, it’s important to test your home so you can identify where lead could be hiding and help ensure the health of your family members. This article will explain why you should have your home tested for lead and how to do so.
What is lead?
According to the EPA, lead is a hazardous material testing in New Jersey and found in many household items such as paint, pipes, toys, etc. As a result, lead poisoning is a serious health problem affecting millions of children annually.
Lead exposure can occur when lead dust or paint chips are inhaled or ingested by young children. The most common symptoms of lead exposure include irritability, lack of attention span, aggression, hyperactivity and learning disabilities.
What are the health effects of lead exposure?
Lead exposure can lead to various health effects, including anemia, high blood pressure, kidney disease, nerve damage, reproductive problems in both men and women, seizures or convulsions. Lead exposure can also cause miscarriages or premature births.
Lead is one of the most common hazardous materials in older homes. So if you are considering buying an older home, it may be a good idea to have it tested for lead.
How can I test for lead in my home?
The best way to test for lead in your home is by taking a sample from the highest point of the building. You can do this by using a pencil, paintbrush, or another non-metallic object to collect dust from windowsills, door frames, and any other high point in the house.
This dust can be sent off for testing to find out if it contains lead. Lead testing services are available from many companies that specialize in hazardous Material Testing in New Jersey.
What should I do if I find a lead in my home?
Lead is hazardous in many things like paint, old metal pipes, leaded gasoline and more. Lead can cause serious health problems like cognitive decline, impaired hearing, high blood pressure, reproductive issues, kidney failure and more.
So if you think you may have lead in your home, it is important to have it tested. This can be done with a professional lead testing service that will come out to your home and test for any unsafe levels of lead using an XRF analyzer.
Are there any other ways to reduce my family’s exposure to lead?
Lead is a toxic metal that can contaminate a home or workplace. As lead exposure can lead to serious health problems, it’s important to have your home tested for lead. Lead testing services NJ are available to help you identify the presence of lead in your home.
There are also other ways to reduce your family’s exposure to lead, such as by removing paint from any surfaces with more than one layer of paint and installing window guards on windows that open.